Our body is an incredibly complex wonder of nature; the result of millions of years of evolution and our digestive system is a critical component, as it breaks down the food we eat, which enables it to be turned into energy.
Here are a few common symptoms of gastrointestinal issues.
- Sudden weight loss – If you notice you are losing weight for no apparent reason, it could be a sign of gastrointestinal problems and a visit to a gastrointestinal hospital is in order. The specialist would perform gastroscopy to determine the cause and then the best treatment can be scheduled.
- Heartburn – Also known as acid reflux, this can be a sign that there is a problem with the digestive tract, although this could just be indigestion. If the heartburn persists, you should see a doctor to identify the cause, who may refer you to a special unit at a hospital.
- Diarrhea or Constipation – Either of these conditions could be a result of gastrointestinal or liver problems and this warrants a visit to your local doctor’s surgery. Of course, if the condition does not persist, it was probably due to something else.
- Appetite loss – If you suddenly lose your appetite, there could be numerous reasons, one of which is gastrointestinal and you need to see a medical professional to be sure of the cause. Wait for a few days, as your appetite could return as easily as it left. Emotional stress can make you reluctant to eat and if something is on your mind, address this issue.
- General fatigue – If the digestive system is not working properly, this means your body is not getting all the nutrients is needs and you would feel generally tired and reluctant to move. There are many reasons why you might feel tired all the time; if you have any of the other symptoms in this list, that might be an indication that it is intestine related.
- Difficulty in swallowing – This could be a symptom of a gastrointestinal condition, which could be caused by emotional stress, a low fibre diet and lack of water.
The digestive system is complex and the above are common signs that you may have a liver or gastrointestinal issue and the best course of action is to see a doctor. If you are 50 or over, it is a good idea to take a daily supplement that contains all the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs.
What is your reaction?