Gum recession is the exposure of long roots due to tooth decay and infection. The gums can recede due to chronic inflammation and wear over time. If a person is suffering from gum recession, he/she suffers sensitivity to hot or cold and root exposure can take place. Gum grafting treatment can help prevent gum recession and any further loss of your gum tissue.
The Portland Dental Center offers you a wide range of dental services at affordable prices. The use of highly advanced and modern technologies helps in delivering better treatment. Their services are reliable and provided by highly qualified and experienced dentists. For more information, visit https://centredentaireportland.com/
Causes of gum recession
- Periodontal gum disease
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormonal imbalance
- Smokers are 4 times more prone to develop gum disease
- Tobacco chewing
- Improper brushing technique
Treatment of receding gums
When receding gums are caused by any gum disease and heavy tartar buildup, in that case proper and thorough cleaning of the gums is the initial step towards stopping the recession. It is also referred to as root planning and scaling.
This procedure involves the removal of tartar buildup and bacterial plaque from infected teeth and root surfaces. Thus, helping gums to heal and preventing any additional recession.
If the gingival recession is more extensive and severe, however in that case consider gum graft surgery. The surgical procedure not only repairs the wounded area but also helps to prevent secondary infection.
Types of gum grafting surgery
- Connective tissue grafts are the most commonly done grafting procedure in day to day practice. The surgery is used to treat patient having one or more areas of recession. A flap of tissue is taken from the roof of mouth. This tissue is then stitched over to the exposed root.
- Pedicle grafts use the tissue adjacent to your tooth which requires the repair treatment.
- Free gingival grafts are almost similar to connective tissue grafts. Although, in this case, the tissue is taken directly from the palate.
Benefits of Gum Grafting surgery
- Reduce tooth sensitivity to cold and hot foods
- Protects the root of the tooth from decay
- Provides you even gumline
- Providing you the benefit of smiling and speaking with confidence.
Good oral care for prevention
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with a soft-bristled brush, using the correct tooth brushing technique.
- Regularly floss your teeth to remove plaque and cleans away bacteria.
- Use anti-microbial mouthwash for gargling and prevent the growth of bacteria and bad breath.
Schoettger Orthodontics has experience in correcting crooked teeth, jaws, bite problems and other orthodontic issues. Professional dental treatments available via Schoettger Orthodontics to patients ranging from three-year-olds to adults.